The Prophecy of Saint Francis of Assisi
“There will be an uncanonically elected pope who will cause a great Schism, there will be diverse thoughts preached which will cause many, even those in the different orders to doubt, yea, even agree with those heretics which will cause my Order to divide, then will there be such universal dissension and persecutions that if those days were not shortened even the elect would be lost.” (source: The Reign of Antichrist by Rev. R. Gerald Culleton)
Shortly before he died, St. Francis of Assisi called together his followers and warned them of the coming trials saying:
- The time is fast approaching in which there will be great trials and afflictions; perplexities and dissensions, both spiritual and temporal, will abound; the charity of many will grow cold, and the malice of the wicked will increase.
- The devils will have unusual power, the immaculate purity of our Order, and of others, will be so much obscured that there will be very few Christians who will obey the true Sovereign Pontiff and the Roman Church with loyal hearts and perfect charity. At the time of this tribulation a man, not canonically elected, will be raised to the Pontificate, who, by his cunning, will endeavour to draw many into error and death.
- Then scandals will be multiplied, our Order will be divided, and many others will be entirely destroyed, because they will consent to error instead of opposing it.
- There will be such diversity of opinions and schisms among the people, the religious and the clergy, that, except those days were shortened, according to the words of the Gospel, even the elect would be led into error, were they not specially guided, amid such great confusion, by the immense mercy of God.
- Then our Rule and manner of life will be violently opposed by some, and terrible trials will come upon us. Those who are found faithful will receive the crown of life; but woe to those who, trusting solely in their Order, shall fall into tepidity, for they will not be able to support the temptations permitted for the proving of the elect.
- Those who preserve in their fervour and adhere to virtue with love and zeal for the truth, will suffer injuries and, persecutions as rebels and schismatics; for their persecutors, urged on by the evil spirits, will say they are rendering a great service to God by destroying such pestilent men from the face of the earth. but the Lord will be the refuge of the afflicted, and will save all who trust in Him. And in order to be like their Head, [Christ] these, the elect, will act with confidence, and by their death will purchase for themselves eternal life; choosing to obey God rather than man, they will fear nothing, and they will prefer to perish rather than consent to falsehood and perfidy.
- Some preachers will keep silence about the truth, and others will trample it under foot and deny it. Sanctity of life will be held in derision even by those who outwardly profess it, for in those days JESUS CHRIST WILL SEND THEM NOT A TRUE PASTOR, BUT A DESTROYER.”
(source: Works of the Seraphic Father St. Francis Of Assisi, Washbourne, 1882)
Here is the Letter of Inquiry sent to an Expert of Franciscanism
August 27, 2020
Dear Fr. Nello,
I came across this article way back to my assignment in SFC Allen. I encounter some inquiries about this in the chatroom now in our online prayer group. During my entire formation, I have never heard of this, the late Fr. Servulo San Martin never mentioned it when I had my 1st novitiate in Marikina; nor did Fr. Baltazar Obico mentioned it during our 2nd novitiate in Liliw. Even in our Integration-Intensification year in Balo-i under the late Fr. Enrique Carpio also never mentioned this. Why?
I am consulting if you have encountered this in your studies in Franciscanism. I understand that St. Bonaventure have purportedly burned many books during his time. Please note the questions below:
- Could this be one of the books that have survived the burning and remained extant until today?
- The book is so prophetic and I ask how does this relate to the “two popes that we have today”?
- Why is that it has never been discussed in formation? Is it not authentic? If so, what is the gauge for authenticity?
In my internet research, from time to time this prophecy of St. Francis is alluded to in this strange time about the pandemic of today. I made a little research I cannot find any review. I hope you will find time to answer my queries about this.
Thanks and God bless. I am
The Response to the Inquiry
Response to the Questions
And Here is The Book Extract of the Prophecy
Works of the Seraphic Father St. Francis of Assisi